Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day One Hundred and Twenty-Five to Twenty-Six: A little premature

A really awesome habit I have noticed about my husband is that when he enters new situations he seeks out the really "important" people and becomes their friend. At the Art Institute for instance, his closest friends are: the head of the Graphic Design department, various teachers that have important friends, and the director of the Communications Department. I didn't believe in networking until I saw how well he did it! One of his friends got him an interview as a junior designer at Qdoba. The day that he had the interview, I just started preparing to congratulate him. He was a shoe-in. He's a fantastic designer, has amazing references, and is a wonderful interviewee. They had already mentioned that they don't usually offer jobs to undergrads but they just loved him so much. Plus, I had a really good feeling about it. He came home to my very fancy sign and just laughed because he wasn't going to receive an answer from them until the next day. I wasn't worried though. He already planned to meet with the friend, the Head of Graphic Design, to move his schedule around so that he could fit a full time job in with his full time school schedule (bless his heart...Hey! That's the first time I could say that phrase in such a fitting way). 
To both of our surprise he didn't get the job. It was not because he was under qualified. In fact, they said he was TOO QUALIFIED. He hasn't even graduated yet and a huge corporation thinks he is too qualified! How do you cope with such information. Finding out that you don't qualify is one thing. You know where to go from there: improve. But when you are already too good: dumb down? It's not really something we should be upset about. I was disappointed. But how could I be upset that people think my husband is really good at what he does? So instead of a solemn "Welcome Home. Shoot, I really thought we had our big break that time..." I decided we should have another celebration! 
Everything on the menu that night was overcooked, over-manly, or had something to do with Bunnies...because they overproduce. 




2 comments:

  1. And this is why I Thank God you gave yourself to my Jacey!!! I appreciate you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was SO FUNNY! The signs and the menu were fantastic!!! I laughed way hard

    ReplyDelete