Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day One Hundred and Eleven-One Hundred and Eighteen: Baby Sister goes to college

I can't believe it! My sister is in College. My parents and her left a week before orientation to spend some time with the family in Utah. The night before they left Moose sat down with me on the couch, journal in hand and we had a good laugh reading about what kind of sisters we were. I was blown away by how much she really saw of my life: the good and most shocking was the bad. Such a young, sweet girl wrote some very deep insights about her rebellious older sister. It tugged at my heart to know that she had been experiencing the hardest times of my life right along with me. She truly is my best friend.  During those awkward times you get caught laughing in public for no apparent reason, it has almost always been because of something I knew her and I would think was hilarious. It is her beautiful voice I hear sing in my head when I look to the words of a Hymn for comfort. Somewhere around 90% of my childhood pictures have her in them. When we moved to Colorado, she was the only friend I had (except you, Carly, of course...but for dramatic effect just bare with me). And when Jace and I moved back in with my parents, she was again the only real friend I had. This hit me a couple hours after they drove off in a car packed with all her belongings. This was it. I will more than likely never live in the same house with my sister again. It's even a gamble that we will live in the same state! We will see each other during holidays and talk about our separate lives. My best friend has grown up. It has been a very long time since I felt this yearning, but for the thirtieth time in my life I said, "I don't want to grow up." I want her here with me forever. I am so happy for her. I am so excited for her to have her own adventures and donate plasma to afford it. But I certainly miss her. When Melissa hinted that she may like to have me there to see her off, I didn't hesitate. Jadyn and I were on a plane thursday morning to Salt Lake. Accomplishment #1 on the trip was of course successfully getting through security at the airport without Jace--with Jadyn--in a timely manner. Melissa and Mom had spent the week in Utah camping, getting Carter ready for his first day of school and SHOPPING. They saved a little of that for my arrival as well. I may have splurged a bit but then again,  when you spend virtually nothing  two years of marriage, everything feels like splurging.
We watched Carter's soccer game. It's not the best picture, but it is the best moment I captured. He just assisted one of his teammates in making a goal. What does he think of someone else scoring a goal even if they are on the same team? "Thumbs Down!" Mindy's still working on the teamwork concept. 

We also went bowling.
Brett's still learning how to hold a baby.

Travis. What can I say?

We finally got to meet Brett's mystery woman: Vic. I approve. 

Jadyn was such a good girl all through the driving. 
She snuggled up to her giraffe on the way to Rexburg. 
It took two full days to unpack this girl. But she's worth it...
cuz I love her and all her luggage (name that movie girls!)
We were too lazy to walk to the other side of the dorms to stand next to the nice sign that didn't have a dumb "Loading Zone" sign...you get the drift though. This is where college began for me. Good old Ricks hall. Good memories. College just flew right by! 
And now it is her turn, starting at Ricks Hall. It is somewhat like ground zero for us girls now. 
It's a good hall. 

I didn't really cry when my mom left me at college. But I was not Melissa. I'm not saying she is more of a wuss than me. I'm sure she would vouch for the fact that it is probably the other way around. Melissa has seen all her siblings leave home, all the way down to number 5. When I left she was still there with mom. The youngest and mother always seem to have a special bond. She was mom's buddy when everyone else was gone. So when it came to saying good bye to our dear Melissa, the family member that has always been waiting for you to come home, we all cried. You will be missed ya goon. I love you so much. And I am sure I am missing you more than you are missing me now. You're too busy conquering the world. Just remember that your big sister will be waiting for you to come home.  


4 comments:

  1. This was so tender. I hurt real bad. I miss both you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU! i loved this post!
    best sister ever! thanks so much, pince. i miss you more than words can describe. BFFE (besties for eternity).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bawling my eyes out! Oh Missy girl I love you!!! I miss my Monsons!!!! DANG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a sweet post. I can not believe your sis is in college. It makes me feel really old

    ReplyDelete