Monday, July 25, 2011

Out of the dust.

The concept of "struggles" has been going through my mind lately. My little sister is home from college just for a moment. She asks me questions about marriage and motherhood, which in all honesty, many are not answered the way she would like. Much of raising a child and living as a companion involves struggle. In fact, A LARGE CHUNK OF LIFE INVOLVES STRUGGLES! Why? Yes, there is the standard "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger"....but we choose to get married and have children.
 So why is it so worth it? How do I explain to those who haven't been there?

The answer to our temporary moments of suffering:

Success is sweet and sweeter if long delayed and gotten through many struggles and defeats."
 -Amos Bronson Alcott 


It is in those moments where time stops for a second, and you realize how far you have come. 
When you open your eyes and see a beautiful little girl snuggled against you. 
And all those sleepless nights and tears of frustration make it that much sweeter. 


I have someone very close to me who has suffered what I would consider a great deal in their lifetime. I have spent much of that time feeling sorry for them and wishing they could escape their heartache. Recently, they felt another large blow and I thought it would knock them down for good. But then... I was completely wrong. He has lifted up, out of the dust. I feel as if I am witnessing a miracle. And all those heart wrenching experiences sink below him. 

The more pain we feel, the more rewarding is our triumph. 

5 comments:

  1. this is great, linds. really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that we love and appreciate the sweetness of life because we have also tasted the bitter. May your sweet days far out weigh your bitter ones my Lindsey Girl. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful Lindsey...and it's all so true. Sometimes the fairy tale ends with the honeymoon...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been married 30 years and I feel as if I still live in a fairy tale. Fairy tales include opposition, and I believe we live happily ever after, not despite trials, but because of them.

    ReplyDelete